Thursday, January 15, 2009

Unlocking the Bible Omnibus - David Pawson


Dad had bought this book on February 2007  but only around mid 2008, I started reading it seriously. I haven't completed it yet, but I can't wait to tell you how immensely I have been affected by it.

I need to confess that I haven't yet read the Bible completely cover to cover .I feel ashamed about this and I don't want to justify it but the reason could be that at certain times, certain portions of the Bible seemed repetitive and uninteresting.I have no reservations concerning the fact that the lack of a longing for God's Word is a symptom of wickedness and, I am constantly at work trying to get my heart to consume God's Word and receive direction, discipline and discretion. 

When I tried to find out why Bible-reading was sometimes burdensome instead of being a truly wonderful experience, I realized that it was because my understanding of the background of the Scripture was shallow and insufficient.So I could not identify even the obvious treasures of God's Word.

Here is where David Pawson does a terrific job, by putting his years of enormous studies in a simple common man's language through his book; he makes you so interested in the Bible that you get committed to it.Now, this is the key to unlocking the treasures of the bible.

This book does not attempt to give a verse by verse commentary instead it provides a spectacular insight to the essence of the biblical setup and the stage where the Scripture was written.Does this sound like a dry history book to you? Then you are terribly wrong, the language and the presentation makes it as interesting as a novel.

It is quite a large book comprising of about 1340 pages. But remember, this book has put together enormously large eras of history and culture from the works of different people.Considering the fact, that an amateur like me would never be able to find all the required studies and reference books, this kind of a collection under a single binding is very helpful indeed.

Not just that, it shows us how we should read a particular book of the bible?, how the parts are divided?, what are the theological views of the book?, why should we read it?, what are the misconceptions existing?, what was the significance of the period in which this book was written?, What do we know about the person who wrote it and how his lifestyle has affected the way the book has been written? These are some questions whose answers will help understand the relevance of what God wants to communicate.

Some people have advised me not read bible reference books, commentaries, or even study bibles because I need to learn the truths by myself from the Holy Spirit. I don't deny their good intentions, because they are afraid that I maybe misled or get distracted.

However, I beg to differ. Bible references, studies and books such as "Unlocking the Bible  - Omnibus" help to understand the Word with more clarity. So that we can spend more time with the Holy Spirit to receive direction, discretion, and discipline from the Word. Without understanding the context of the Bible and the background of the Scripture, the reading becomes unconnected and boring. Eventually, the inspiration to consume more of the Word wears out.

This is not a devotional book, rather it helps you gain wonderful devotionals yourself, once you have understood the backdrop.I highly recommend this book to everybody who want to make their Bible-reading more rewarding.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Callie,
    I read your first review on this blog "Fish and Bread" on Unlocking the Bible Omnibus by David Pawson. Your review is near professional.It makes me to feel the contents of the book.I haven't read the book so far.But your review highlights the essence of this book,with your personal touch on the spirit behind this book.

    Abraham Manohar

    ReplyDelete