Thursday, February 10, 2011

What makes me proud to be a working woman?

(I won a prize for this write-up in the place where I work)
There is quite a lot of emphasis on how a working woman gets financial independence, and a chance to prove her skills in a career of her choice. But work for a woman, means more than just that.

The roles that men and woman ought to play in the world are entirely different. Therefore, I take no pride to say that I am able to do something which was once thought, could be done only by men. However, I take pride to say that work in its own way has helped me realize my own unique, intellectual, emotional and physical capabilities.

I’d give myself a pat on the back when I realize that being a working woman has helped me completely utilize the potential that’s been placed in my life. Work provides for numerous opportunities to discover myself and pursue my purpose.

A job and a work title have more significance than just getting me a paycheck at the end of a month. It is a way to uncover secret skills and untold talents. The joy and the pride that swells my heart when I get a job well done, fills me with enough confidence to continue moving forward to grab my destiny.

The test for real potential lies in the opportunities in which it is used. Being a working woman, helps me find a way to be a part of the lives of many people whom I meet and interact with everyday. Not that we always get a chance to strike a great friendship. But in almost every work relationship, I get a chance to identify my strength and sometimes my weakness too.

I am fortunate enough to be relieved from doing household chores, because I have the comfort of my mom doing all the work. Being a working woman herself for more than 25 years now, she has learned to alternate gracefully between her career roles and her duties as a mother, wife, and daughter.

In addition, I greatly admire many colleagues at my workplace who do a splendid task in seamlessly handling a client, a team, a manager, and to top it all, check on their child at home, enquiring about school, homework, music classes, and telling him to drink his milk and relish the chocolate cake that she baked for him. Then, she talks to her dad’s doctor enquiring about his health. She then gets back to the monitor screen; taps the return key to resume her work. She multi-tasks and travels across different worlds with great effort, but for the spectators of her life, it seems like a cake-walk.

The working woman lives a life of style. When a woman dresses to work, she appends several interesting traits to her personality, making her professional, smart and approachable. The same life, in a different package.

Many, who look at the life of a woman in the cubicle, look through rose colored glasses. “It’s the money, the glamour”, they say. Partly it stands true. Every working woman faces new challenges tirelessly, climbs the career ladder, and makes her mark, only to leave a legacy for her family. She strives hard to give her children a life that she had only dreamt about. The working woman today rolls up her sleeve and gets down to work to help her family build castles on firm ground. She does not look around for support; she puts her own skillful hands at use. She supports, sustains and succeeds.

Being a working woman helped me realize my ability to work with focus, achieve excellence, and work in a team. It is indeed true that we do get opportunities for the same at home, but never as versatile and dynamic like those at work. There is no greater pride when you do something without realizing it, and suddenly it strikes you that you’re a star.

The things I learn at work help me become a better and stronger person at home and in the society. My vision has broadened. I have become more tolerant. The way I look at people has changed. I can now see needs beyond the obvious. I have learnt to understand expression, read between lines and obey authority. These things are invaluable, and I am proud to have gained them at work.

4 comments:

  1. Great Post!! Recently my wife was sick for a couple of days and i tried playing the role of Mr. Mom..and you know what i failed miserably but succeeded in gaining respect for Moms. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! A great read for 3:58am! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jenifer Sorry for sounding like your mom, but get yourself enough sleep...I'm nocturnal too.. but then I'm not sure if it's good for guys like you who are studying... anyways thanks da..

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kingsly After I started working, I've gained a lot of respect for my mom too..

    ReplyDelete